Sunday, February 22, 2015

February 22, 2015 Vegan Chickpea curry

The thyroid and iron medication has been working and people are saying I am losing weight. I have been pretty terrible with the diet and other than walking non existent with the exercise. I couldn't get around the stress at work for the last couple of weeks and very little sleep but I did get some catch up time this weekend. I am hoping this week will be better and I can at least get into a bit of a workout routine and do a little bit better on the diet.

Vegan Chickpea and Rice Curry

I started out by making rice in the rice cooker I added a bit of margarine and some curry spice to the water but I put in too much water (I am not good at rice) so I got a sticky rice but it worked out well as rice balls in the curry.

Rice
1/2 cup rice
2 cups water
1 tsbp margarine
spice - I used bollywood spice
handful cilantro leaves chopped and half a lemon
Put all ingredients in rice cooker except cilantro and lemon.
Let cook while preparing other ingredients

Curry
1 tsbp olive oil
1 can chickpea rinsed and drained
curry spice (I used bollywood spice)
1 tsbp tumeric (I used 2tsbp by accident)
1 tsbp fresh ginger
1/2 large onion
3 tbsp salsa (you can use 1 jalepeno, 1 clove garlic instead)
1 tsbp ketchup
salt
black pepper
sweetner (preferably sugar I didn't have any so I used sugar)
acid (lemon or if you have tamarind sauce that is better)

Cut onion and ginger add salsa and puree (I used the magic  bullet)
Heat a pan and add 1 tsbp margerine or olive oil or desi ghee if you have it
add pureed mixture and let simmer until it comes to a boil stir occassionally
meanwhile add cilantro and lemon












to rice and move rice so its is all bound together like a dough ball
then make small duplimg size pieces from the rice balls
place rice balls in sauce once it boils
let cook for 2 mins
then add chickpeas to the sauce
add cilantro, ketchup and a little water to a blender and puree
add to boiling sauce mixture
add sweetener and other spices to taste.

In mine if i had some sugar to add and I didn't put in way too much tumeric and spice this would be really amazing. Its good but I need to tweak those two things next time. 

No comments: