Sunday, December 30, 2012

December 30, 2012

The last post of 2012. I am happy to report I have not put on any holiday weight. I must have boosted my metabolism because I did eat. I didn't lose any weight though. I have been pretty happy looking at the changes in my body but I know I still have some work to do. My work office has mice and at least one made it into my junk food drawer it ate a bite out of the wrapping of a fruit snack. The food at my desk is all gone, no more chocolate. I will never have food at my desk again at any office I work in. At least the mice are helping with the weight loss journey.

There are a few changes I made in the last few weeks. My workday breakfast became smoothies made of whatever I had available they ranged from kale, mango, lentils, spinach, nut-butter,orange, and avacado to banana, soy milk, nut butter, chocolate. I was working morning overtime and I found this to be great to drink at my desk and easy to digest early in the morning.

I have switched from black tea to green tea this has helped a lot. For me black tea requires milk and something sweet along with it. Green tea I can drink plain. I have also noticed a reduction in bloating after eating processed food and I believe the green tea has helped.

I craved the cauliflower pizza a couple of times. I tried it once with mozzarella cheese the texture wasn't good it was too soft. I also compared the texture with adding chickpea flour vs the no chickpea flour. Texture was good with the flour however I did not like the taste. I have grown up eating chickpea flour as a lot of dishes from my ancestors are made with it but this didn't taste right with the pizza. It may have been the $1.99 giant bag I bought from Walmart. I may try it again with a better quality flour and try my mom's method of dry roasting the flour first which gets the uncooked taste out. I am going to try experimenting with other ingredients until I get something that's good both flavour and texture wise.

My contribution to Christmas lunch was cranberry sauce. This recipe is a holiday treat because it wasn't just for me I added more sugar than I would for myself. I did try the sauce mixed with the banana dessert I have posted before and it was really good. I will likely make some less sweet cranberry sauce in the future to add to my desert.

I wish everyone a happy 2013 full of healthy nutritious eating. I booked a nice beach vacation in February so January will be all about trying to get into bathing suit shape.

Holiday Cranberry Sauce

1 package fresh cranberries
4 small packages vanilla sugar
1 cup orange juice
1 cup water

boil above ingredients in a pot approx 10 mins use a wooden spoon while cooking to press cranberries

let cool
blend in processor

cranberry sauce beautiful colour


cauliflower pizza with 2 tablespoons chickpea flour added




No comments: