Sunday, June 5, 2016

June 5, 2016 Pressure Cocker Chickpeas that turned in Hummous

This week I haven't been very good I was out a lot and nothing in the workout world was memorable. I mostly did easy 10 minute workouts and skipped a few. I ate out a bit too much and no results this week but I haven't put on any weight either. I did buy an electric pressure cooker. I have never used a pressure cooker but I have tried to use my mom's old manual one before and I could never push down hard enough for the lid to close. I miss my multi-cooker so I thought this would be a good replacement. This is a lot bigger than I expected it to be I bought it from TSC when it was on sale.
After googling what I could make I thought chickpeas. I have never cooked a dry bean before I make a trip to my mom's house and make her cook them for me usually. I soaked the beans overnight didn't realize they would expand that much it started as a handful. I ended up going out unexpectedly the next day so they sat in the fridge so they soaked for over 15 hours.



 I didn't have much spices so I bought this spice mix as it should have everything that was needed

The instructions said to put 3 cups of water in the pressure cooker first then add ingredients so I did that. I put the water in, a chopped onion, the spice mix and squeezed some fresh lemon juice in there. It said to turn the timer to 15 minutes. This pressure cooker does not make noise it took a while for it to work so it was over 30 minutes before the 15 minutes was up. The cooker had turned to warm before I checked on no alarms on this one like my other gadgets. It also took me awhile to figure out that I had to vent this after letting it sit turned off for awhile. Around 45 minutes after I started I opened the lid and felt that it needed more cooking time. I set another 15 minute timer. Over an hour from the start my chickpeas were cooked but the water didn't evaporate and the seasoning not that tasty. I had to much water in there next time I will try with a cup of water. It was night so I drained off the water and put the peas away to deal with the next day.

The chickpeas wer tasty and a good texture just not the curry I was expecting to be eating. The next day I transformed this into humous the indian seasoning and the onion are not noticeable so this didn't taste wierd. I put the chickpeas, lemon juice, cilantro, salt, pepper, and olive oil in the magic bullet blender and pureed.


It ended up being a pretty tasty Humous which made a great dressing to my subway salad. Its super hot today no way I am turning on anything that will make my place hotter.

No comments: